Ready to volunteer on the construction site?
Contact Mandy with questions you may have about volunteering.
For a safe and rewarding volunteer experience with Iowa Heartland Habitat for Humanity, volunteers and team leaders should review the following information before signing up to volunteer on the construction site
Time Commitment Work Hours:
Monday-Thursday, 8:30am to 3:30pm
Saturday, 8:30am to 3:00pm
• Volunteers should arrive on time to hear safety tips and task assignments for the day.
• Volunteers should commit to working the entire day; split crews can be discussed on an individual basis but are not preferred.
• The last half hour of each work day is designated for clean-up.
• Volunteer crews of 4-10 volunteers
• Iowa Heartland Habitat for Humanity follows all OSHA restrictions and child labor laws.
• Children under the age of 16 are not permitted on the construction site.
• Children under the age of 18 can not engage in hazardous activities such as roofing, being on ladders or using power tools.
• There should be 1 adult chaperone for every 5 volunteers under age 18. Discuss with Program Director for more information.
• Work boots or tennis shoes—no open toed shoes, sandals or Crocs allowed on site.
• Wear clothes and shoes you won’t mind getting dirty.
• Avoid loose fitting or baggy clothes.
• Layers are recommended during winter months.
• Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen are recommended.
• Only perform tasks you are comfortable completing.
• Watch the Habitat safety video CLICK HERE
Use “W8NAEBTG” as the Employee Access Code
View “Volunteering on a Habitat Job Site”
• Habitat will provide all tools and safety equipment necessary to complete tasks.
• Put your name on basic tools, safety glasses or work gloves that you bring.
• Habitat provides training on all construction tasks; volunteers work with a trained site supervisor.
• Volunteers are welcome whether you are skilled or unskilled.
Food and Beverages
• Have someone within your group organize lunch or ask volunteers to bring a sack lunch.
• Break for lunch at noon, 30-60 minutes.
• Bring plenty of water and beverages to last the entire work day.
• Ask someone within the group to donate a case of bottled water.