Come work with Habitat
Do you want a career where you get to work with great people and enjoy knowing that what you do benefits an organization that makes a positive difference in your community?
AmeriCorps Construction Assistant
Position Title: Construction Assistant (AmeriCorps)
Reports To: Construction Manager
Position Description: The Construction Assistant (CA) serves as a full-time AmeriCorps member and as an integral part of the Iowa Heartland Habitat for Humanity (IHHFH) construction team. The CA is responsible for providing excellent customer service to all build site participants, from the time of registration in the morning through breakdown in the afternoon. This individual will work with volunteers on-site under the director of IHHFH’s construction supervisors and construction manager as well as assist with construction logistics necessary to ensure a positive volunteer experience on-site, including safety and ensuring materials are organized and on-site on time.
This position is full-time, 7:30AM-4PM M-F with very occasional work on some evenings or weekends that may be required throughout the year. Holiday time and paid time off do not count towards member minimum service hour requirements.
- Assist with pickup and delivery of materials as needed and keeping the tool trailers organized and maintained to ensure a smooth and productive volunteer experience on the build sites.
- Ensure that all required volunteer support materials are stocked, organized and readily available.
- Greet and register volunteers each morning at the build site when applicable.
- Assist construction supervisor in leadership of volunteers at assigned build site.
- Serve as a positive liaison between volunteers and IHHFH.
- Effectively manage all quality/safety control issues at build site.
- Stock construction/volunteer support materials and maintain a clean, safe and organized build site.
- Work proactively to address any conflicts that may arise on the build site-due to both internal and external factors. Ensure that all emergency plans are executed appropriately.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Ability to lead, train and manage volunteers in a positive manner.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Effective oral communication skills and willingness to speak in front of large volunteer groups.
- Basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets and email.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and unexpected shifts in priorities.
- Ability to lift 30-50 lbs. Work may require considerable standing, bending, kneeling and reaching.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be willing to understand the big picture of the Iowa Heartland Habitat for Humanity ministry and know that construction is only a part of the larger goal.
Member serving under this description is expected to have regular, scheduled, and anticipated recurring access to vulnerable populations through their service. Yes
Member understands position placement is contingent on applicable National Service Criminal History Checks such as National Sex Offender Public Website, State of Service and State of Residence Criminal History Check, and FBI fingerprint check.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to executive director, Ali Parrish, at email@example.com.
Iowa Heartland Habitat for Humanity promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. Iowa Heartland Habitat does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.